So, today’s post was going to be some kind of angry diatribe about Michael Gove (top ten reasons to hate him, top ten pictures of him looking silly, top ten completely unsubstantiated views he’s put forward about education, etc etc).
But then I thought, why spoil a good day by reminding myself of the many reasons why I think he’s a muppet? So instead, here is my Top Ten Facts About Bears. Of course. Because that’s a natural progression from thinking about Michael Gove… Enjoy!
- Bears can run up to 40 miles per hour, fast enough to catch a running horse. Usain Bolt can only run 27mph.
- Black bears are not always black. They come in a variety of colors from black to reddish brown (cinnamon bears), light brown or white.
- Unlike many mammals, bears can see in color.
- A swimming polar bear can jump 8 ft. (2.4 m) out of the water to surprise a seal (probably not a flowers-and-hugs kind of surprise…)
- In 2004, a black bear was found unconscious in a campground in Seattle, Washington. It had broken into a cooler and used its claws and teeth to open dozens of beer cans. Although it sampled other types of beer, it chose to drink all the cans of only one type of beer.
- Most types of bears are born without fur… Only polar bears and giant pandas are born with thin white fur. N’awww.
- Bears lose most of their heat from their paws. While most bears have bare feet, the paws of polar bears have fur on the bottoms and between the toes.
- During hibernation, bears don’t poo. Its body can somehow recycle body waste into protein—a process scientists still do not understand.
- Teddy Bears are so named after U.S. President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt, who refused to shoot a black bear cub on a hunting trip.
- Baloo, from The Jungle Book, is a sloth bear.